Responder

Laing, Bartlett, Jeffrey families from Burghead/Elgin area,Morayshire,Scotland

fgraham
female
I'm looking for info on my grandparents JAMES LAING born 1878 & ELIZABETH  BARTLETT b.1886, married??.  Elizabeth's father was JOHN  BARTLETT 1846-1894 , he was a fisherman & drowned in waters off Burghead .Her  mother was JANE JEFFREYS born abt 1851---all from BURGHEAD/ ELGIN, in MORAYSHIRE, SCOTLAND.    I haven't been able to find out any earlier info on Jane Jeffreys lineage or parents of John Bartlett. I think John & Jane possibly had 7 children--Elizabeth/Barbara-John & Alexander; this info from 1901 Scottish census & LIBINDEX  but nothing about other 3 children.
I think I have found out info on my grandfather's side of the family back to mid 1700, if it is correct. 
His parents were William LAING b1831 & Elspet MCHARDY 1838, they had 6 children, my grandfather James had a twin sister, Jessie.  William's parents were JOHN LAING  1797 & ELSPET COBBAN 1800?? both from SANDYMOSS, DUFFUS, Moray. 
I found LIBINDEX for Morayshire very helpful, & it is free.  Also Scotland's people but it is a pay for use site.  I do not know if any of the Laings, Bartletts or Jeffreys still live in the area or not.  My grandparents left Scotland in the early 1900s to homestead in HARRIS, Saskatchewan, Canada and are both buried in Canada.

jolynnt
female
Hi. I found information on a woman in Burghead named Agnes Jeffrey. She was a midwife in 1861 and before and after that. My ancestor may have been her assistant. Her name was Christina McIntosh Hannah. She immigrated to Montreal and was the head midwife at the McGill Lying-In Hospital from 1871-78. I can give you more details if you write to me. jolynntrudeau@gmail.com

Responder

Voltar para “United Kingdom”