Responder

Looking for Swedish great grandmother Ellen Parssons

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
sveriege2021
female
Modo de introdução: Gráfico
Navegação: Gráfico
Ver a árvore genealógica
I am looking for information on my great grandmother who immigrated to Boston, USA from Sweden around 1885-1890.
I know her parents were Anders Parsson/Persson (?) and Hannah Bensson/Bengtsson(?)
She was born in 1868 but I don't know where in Sweden she is from.
Her name could be a version of Ellen (Elin, Elna, Helen, etc.)
Her name is documented in the US as Ellen Parsons/Pierson/Pearson
She died near Boston in 1947

Any leads would be appreciated!
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navegação: Texto
Ver a árvore genealógica
Did she immigrate alone or with her parents? Given the time period, she would have been naturalized through marriage or when her father was naturalized, whichever came first.

Having her married name and approximate marriage date would be useful.

Eric
sveriege2021
female
Ver a árvore genealógica
Hello,

She immigrated alone and married William Edward Neary(Narey) 31 August, 1895. I think she may have been from the Borrby area but don't know this for certain.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Ver a árvore genealógica
The 1900-1930 census should give you the year of immigration. Since it's often approximate, check all of them. This will help narrow down which passenger lists to check.

Search the US census 1900-1940 for "William Edward Neary" with spouse "Ellen Neary" and location "United States, Massachusetts".
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?fcs=region%3AUNITED_STATES%2CrecordType%3ACENSUS

If this is her, she was born in November 1867, immigrated in 1886, and married around 1896. But check other years as there may be errors/discrepancies in individual census.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9YJ-DT9

I know this does not directly answer your question, but the more documents you check, the more likely you are to find one that mentions her birthplace with a little more precision. Always view the images and don't rely on the indexation.

Eric
sveriege2021
female
Ver a árvore genealógica
Hello,

I am trying to find her family and where she came from in Sweden. I have no information about where in Sweden she came from, and can't find her parents in Sweden either. Thanks!
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Ver a árvore genealógica
That's the difficulty with immigrants. Most records only mention the country of birth. Naturalization certificates sometimes include the exact place of birth, but you won't find one for Ellen since she became a citizen through marriage. Passenger lists often include the last residence before departure or a contact in the old country, which may or may not be the place of birth. So looking at as many records as possible will increase the chances of finding the missing information.

Sweden is particularly complicated because of the patronymic naming system where sons get their father's name with -son and daughters with -dotter. So you can't really look for an area where a surname was more common, as it changed with each generation.

Once you have narrowed down her date birth and of immigration through the census, search for her in the passenger lists. I'd try Boston and Ellis Island first: https://stevemorse.org

Eric
Responder

Voltar para “Family History Searches”