Responder

Kopf from Sulz am Neckar, Wurttemberg

taxshedermmist
female
Modo de introdução: Texto
Navegação: Texto
Ver a árvore genealógica
Hello from Illinois, USA 

I have traced my grandfathers family to Sulz am Neckar, Wurttemberg and I have discovered that it is a beautiful spa location but I need to know if there are records there of the KOPF family or will I need to go to Stuttgart to see family records.  I have gone back to about the year 1730 with this line through the LDS FamilySearch, but I want to branch out to reach other Kopfs from this area. My ultimate goal is to travel to Germany to meet other members of this family or locate relatives in the U.S.    I have my GreatGrandfathers Wanderbuch which allows him to travel as a journeyman shoemaker in 1845.  When he completed his 3 years he immediately traveled to LaHavre and boarded a ship to New Orleans, LA, USA.  He lived the rest of his life in Washington County, Illinois, USA.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.
Karen Reinhardt Mason 
mrstinylady
female
There are KOPFs in Peterzell and Leidengren.
taxshedermmist
female
Ver a árvore genealógica
Thank you Mstinlady.     I located Peterzell in the area and located a town spelled Leidringen close by.       Have you tried to locate family or records in these towns.    I just don't know if I should write to the chamber of commerce or to the mayors office or do I have to go to the records in Stuttgart.   OR, maybe I should start at the local church......this is the first time I am trying to locate anything out of the USA
davidwestler
male

Wurttemberg

Mensagem por davidwestler »

I am Canadian from Victoria BC and I traced my family name, Westler starting from 1585 until 1700 in Wurttemberg Baden region in the Evangelical local archives. What would be the historic connection and searching for cross references with other sources. Any possible hints, advice, help ..
Thanks,
David
taxshedermmist
female
Ver a árvore genealógica
Hello David,

In the last 4 years since this post I have learned a lot. I am in the U.S. I found the Wuerttemberg Family tables on Ancestry and have been able to connect most of the people I was looking for. There are 15 matches for Westler in the All Württemberg, Germany, Family Tables, 1550-1985 results for Westler. If you haven't taken advantage of the forums on Ancestry you might want to make a post looking for other Westler researchers. That part of Ancestry is free.

The only other suggestions I have are:

FamilySearch.org and going to the WIKI and drilling down to specific towns or regions in Germany to find records that are not yet indexed.

Join a genealogy group on FaceBook. There are some just for regions in Germany and some of their members are great at doing research in Germany for free. Just ask nicely, be specific for what you are looking for, and make sure you thank them.

Put your tree on WikiTree. It is a cooperative tree and they have many rules to follow but you might find others there researching the same family. There are many members from Europe. This site isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it and there are many helpful members to meet in the forums.

Geneanet is great for making connections in Europe and all over the world.

Best of luck in your search.
davidwestler
male
Hello Kopf,
It was great getting your kind reply. I wasn't aware about the extended online activities around Wurttemberg ancestry. Your advice and valuable pointers will help me on my ancestry search. I am registered with MyHeritage website and didn't know much about the Ancestry.com, but I shall folow your advice. Thanks again,
Best,
David
Responder

Voltar para “Germany”